There’s nothing better than a bright and cheery floral bouquet to lift someone’s spirits, especially if they are recovering from an injury or illness in the hospital. Flowers are colorful, fragrant, fresh, and beautiful and do wonders for revitalizing a drab hospital room, as well as someone’s mood. In fact, people who receive flowers instead of other gifts are happier and remain happier longer. That’s the powerful effect flowers have!
Before selecting the first bunch of flowers you see, there a few things you need to know before sending flowers to someone in the hospital. The floral experts at Bagoy’s have been delivering get-well flowers to the Anchorage area for over 98 years, and here are a few helpful tips we’d like to share with you.
Tips for Sending Flowers to the Hospital
- Make ‘em bright! Bright, colorful flowers inject color into a room and instill joy and happiness in the recipient.
- Choose flowers that are long-lasting and easy to care for. If possible, have them in a clear vase so it’s easier to monitor the water level.
- Choose smaller over bigger. Large, bulky arrangements could interfere with hospital equipment or hospital staff going about their daily activities. Keep the arrangements a more compact size for space reasons and because it will be easier for the recipient to take home with them.
- Make sure the flowers are allergy free. Hospital staff, visitors, and other relatives are some of the many people who may come into the recipient’s room and may be allergic. Play it safe and choose hypoallergenic flowers such as carnations, daffodils, hydrangeas, orchids, or peonies.
- Get sturdy containers. Glass and ceramic vases look nice but are prone to breaking if they get knocked on the floor. Plastic, wicker or metal floral containers are a better option.
Choose a Floral Arrangement that’s Beautiful and Meaningful
Select flowers that symbolize a special trait or meaning to tailor your get-well message to your recipient. Here’s a list of some popular get-well flowers and their meanings.
- Asiatic Lily: The bright petals of this trumpet-shaped flower burst forth from dark leaves providing a colorfully brilliant contrast. For thousands of years, lilies have symbolized life and good fortune
- Chrysanthemums: The wonderfully varied chrysanthemum comes in a wide array of vibrant colors and shapes and symbolize optimism, joy, and long life.
- Daffodils: A beautiful star-shaped flower with a smaller in the center the bright, cheerful daffodil symbolizes new beginnings and eternal life.
- Heather: With dark blue bell-shaped blooms, this low-growing flowering plant symbolizes good luck and protection.
- Hydrangeas: Gorgeous bunches of flowers that change colors over time and are long-lasting, these blooms symbolize perseverance, which is perfect for someone who is recovering.
- Iris: Coming in many different colors Iris means rainbow in Greek and symbolizes good news.
- Pansies: Delicate, bright flowers with four petals facing up and one petal facing down, these pleasant blooms symbolize loving thoughts.
- Peonies: These beautiful, full, showstopping blooms symbolize healing, good health, and a happy life
- Yellow Tulips: Classic, jeweled-colored bulbs, yellow tulips symbolize cheerful thoughts, sunshine, hope.
When you’re ready to send the perfect get-well flowers, give the florist the full name of the recipient as well as the name of the hospital and address. We deliver to all hospitals in the greater Anchorage, Alaska area, including Providence, so we will be able to assist you in this process. At Bagoy’s, we use the freshest, highest-quality flowers to create the perfect arrangement for you. Contact us about sending flowers to someone you care about in the hospital and rest assured you’ll be brightening their day.