June is National Rose Month, and although roses are always popular, we think that having a month set aside specially to recognize this timeless and classic flower is perfect. Roses are often the bloom of choice when sending a floral design or bouquet, for everything from romance to friendship to congratulations. At Bagoy’s Florist & Home, we have all of the vividly colorful, romantic and beautiful roses that you are looking for – and to observe this special month, thought we would share a interesting facts about these popular flowers.
* Roses are cultivated in over 150 species, but none are found in the southern hemisphere.
* Roses have been grown in every color except true-blue or black, because roses do not have the necessary
gene to produce delphinidin, which is the source of a blue hue. The popular “black rose” is not really black – it is
* The first person to grow and tend to roses in the United States was none other than George Washington.
* Roses have spectacular lifespans and a remarkable ability to thrive. A rosebush at the Hildesheim Wall in Germany has been producing flowers for over 1,000 years. When in bloom, a rose bush in Tombstone, Arizona exhibits over 200,000 flowers, which are supported by an arbor perfect for sitting under.
* In the Middle Ages, rose oil was considered to be a luxurious and prestigious perfume, and was often used to
provide the intoxicating scent for the baths of royalty.
* The colors of roses signify different meanings – for instance, red represents passionate love, yellow stands for
friendship, and pink is given to show gratitude.
* The Cherokee Rose is the state flower of Georgia, but is actually from China – and scholars cannot explain how
it got there.
* Rose hips are fruits on the rose bush. They have more Vitamin C than even an orange – in fact, rose hips
are considered to be the best source of Vitamin C we know of.
There are so many reasons to celebrate the rose – but we love them because they are beautiful! June is National Rose Month, so send a bouquet to someone you love. Bagoy’s Florist & Home delivers across Anchorage and around the country. Give us a call, and we’ll make sure your roses arrive at their door fresh and gorgeous.