Grown from a Greenhouse
When people walk into Bagoy's Florist & Home today, they become a part of our story. We're a legacy shop built over nearly a century by a network of family. In 1922, that family was John and Marie Bagoy, a couple of green thumbs whose backyard greenhouse supplied their family with vegetables.
Soon enough, enticed by the fresh produce, the neighbors came calling, and John and Marie obliged. They began growing bedding plants and flowers too, determined to keep up with demand. Marie started designing arrangements for all of the occasions that still matter so much today - births, weddings, funerals. In the winter, when she couldn't use fresh flowers, she created paper ones. The Bagoys even shipped potted plants from Seattle, which resulted in a line of people up the street, anxious to claim their pot.
After John's death in 1940, daughter Mary and son-in-law Otto stepped in to help Marie. Though the shop operated out of the family home, there were now fly-by-night pilots hauling fresh cut flowers and blooming plants to Bagoy's. To accommodate the shop's success, the home was remodeled, and Mary went to floral school, eventually purchasing the business with Otto.
The 60s saw more expansion and heartbreak. The Good Friday Earthquake devastated the shop's new location, so Bagoy's settled into a nearby garage. And before the decade was over, it had passed into the hands of Felix and Jennie Gay. The Gays added a second shop at the height of the oil boom, then sold the business to Paul and Carol Humphrey in 1980.
The Humphreys had previously run an art gallery combined with a flower shop - a fitting hybrid if ever there was one - and for a time, Bagoy's had "Gallery of Flowers and Fine Art" after its venerable name. Today, Paul and Carol's daughter, Chanda, and her husband, Randy, own Bagoy's Florist & Home. Three families, multiple generations, but always Bagoy's.